Gracie knows I'm a sucker. When she wants something she knows she shouldn't have much of she always starts with, "can I have just one?". Of course I say yes. Then comes the negotiating. "Can I have two?" Well, two seems fine to me. Then it is "can I have three?". Finally I say "yes, and don't ask for more because that is plenty!" The other day we started this process with a treat she wanted. She said, "mommy, can I have just one?" We all know my answer. Then she said, "can I have just five?" I was so thrown that I "lowballed" her offer with....yep, three. I just got played by my three year old. She just cut out 5 minutes of negotiating time and still got what she wanted. I hate to see what happens when she is 16 and tells me she's going to come home at dawn and I come back with, "no, you won't! Be home at 3!" So, the point of all this.....While getting ready the other day she came in the bathroom and asked me if she could clean the floor in her room. I had some clorox wipes on the counter from when I cleaned the bathroom and she wanted to use them. Knowing she would have used the whole container I gave her three to work with.

hahaha I love Gracie! Don't negotiate now because it gets worse as they get older.
ReplyDelete